As the first female CEO of the YMCA in 171 years, Suzanne McCormick joins the Defining US podcast with Stacey DeWitt to share her bold vision for the future. YMCA of the USA is a leading nonprofit committed to strengthening community through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility, engaging 11 million members annually, including 4 million under the age of 18.
Suzanne became President and CEO of YMCA in September 2021. She has 27 years of experience as a local and national executive leader in the nonprofit sector, most recently as U.S. President for United Way Worldwide and a member of its global management team. As President, Suzanne was responsible for helping the 1,100 United Ways across the U.S. build more resilient, inclusive and sustainable communities. Under her leadership, the United Way tackled community challenges with innovative, equitable and systemic solutions.
“Defining US” uses the power of media and the promise of education to inspire educators to join the conversation on social, political and cultural issues that matter.
Throughout this podcast there are powerful moments that provide deeper insight into the individuals and topics discussed in this podcast.
- 1:08 – Suzanne McCormick discusses her experiences and the key things she’s learned in the changing times we’re living in
- 3:20 – The purpose the YMCA serves and its true impact on the community
- 6:40 – The importance of “local solutions”
- 9:40 – Suzanne’s background and what her motivator is for the work she does
- 14:50 – We need a moment of reconciliation
- 19:10 – The values of the YMCA
- 22:50 – Suzanne’s outlook for the YMCA in the future and the impact they can continue to have
- 26:15 – Working with the YMCA
Critical Reflection Questions (During and After the Listening)
Use the following critical reflection questions to make deeper meaning of the topics discussed in this episode.
- How do my own identity, experiences and knowledge influence my understanding of this topic?
- How does this topic connect with my current context?
- What are the implications to my practice?
- How can I support students in taking on and solving big important problems?
- How will I continue the conversation in my school/community/organization?
Inside the Conversation
Want to know more? Continue the learning with some of the important individuals, organizations, and topics discussed in this episode.
- The Y on Facebook
- YMCA Twitter
- YMCA Instagram
- YMCA YouTube
- Listen to our previous podcast with Director of 211 at United Way Worldwide, Joshua B. Pedersen
Follow Us to Join the Conversation
Our favorite part of recording a live podcast each week is participating in the great conversations that happen on social media and in our comments section.
- Defining US | Twitter
- Defining US | Instagram
- Defining US | Facebook
- Defining US | LinkedIn
- Defining US | Spotify
- Defining US | PodBean
- Defining US | Apple Music
Follow Our Host
Contact Us for Additional Information on:
- Hosting a Documentary Screening and Panel
- Network Experts and Organizations
- Professional Learning
- Multi-Media and Print Resources
Check Out More Defining Us Programming
If you are a new listener to Defining Us, we would love to hear from you. Please visit us at www.definingus.org today!